Thursday, April 24, 2008

FILM! sort of...

This is a digi shot [G9] of the ground glass of my trusty old Toyo 4x5 that I recently got back.

....ok, so i have shot a ton of film in my time & people still ask 'do you shoot Film or Digi?' & now digi has been prevalent for so long people are actually starting to ask if i ever shot film or if i started in Digital..... staggaring that Digital has been around this long & that someone could conceivably be a professional photographer & have never shot film....
i'm not trying to say that you should shoot film or digi - don't really care either way - or that one has had to have shot film in order to be 'good' or whatever....i'm just noticing....

So, I dug up some old B&W polaroid i had hiding in the crisper drawer out in the garage fridge & shot the kiddies out in the yard. The polaroaids are like old friends, bad & great at the same time. perfect in their imperfections - i felt so dumb for having not shot that camera in 3 years or so.... beautiful images, but then i saw all the paper & caustic paste & remembered one of the reason's i switched to digi years ago..... the fucking garbage.
I have literally filled 50 gallon garbage cans [with an'S'] full of cardboard, 120 film wrapping, polaroid boxes, pola foil wrappers, peal away pola sheets etc.... on single day shoots & that's before the shipping to the lab, the chemicals, the contact sheets, the printing, the scanning, the fedexing......etc..... It isn't pretty, & i know digital cameras consume energy yada,yada, but no way do i have the same impact charging camera batteries & running a computer for editing.....
anyway... just some thoughts - shoot what you love.

6 comments:

Joshua Meador said...

Hey Embry,

Just wanted to say I love your work and am constantly checking your blog for new work. I am what I consider to be an emerging-emerging professional and I started out on digital and have recently started shooting film just because I wanted to have so experience shooting film. I still find myself going right back to digital though.

none said...

I'm the same way as josh - always checking out hte blog and before the blog, the site, for all your work. but about this post: i'm sorry i don't understand the teepee picture says "This is a digi shot [G9] of the ground glass of my trusty old Toyo 4x5 that I recently got back." what is the ground glass? it looks like a teepee? are you shooting through glass of the truck?

help me out cause i love the effect.

embry_rucker said...

'none' wow, it took me a while to figure you message out!
ok: check these links out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_glass
http://www.toyoview.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_camera

check those out & let me know if you still have questions...

adam battaglia said...

i read "toyo" as "toyota". sorry to make you stress over the question. i shouldnt read so late at night. but i cant say how appreciative i am for the links. i'll check em out but know you didn't get the effect through shooting out the back window of a toyota.

i'll also set up an account cause i promise to make logical, educational comments in the future.

stiksandstones said...

50 gallon drums of trash, from processing, wow. In that aspect I am glad I am new to this world-a digital one.
As always, thanks for bloggin.

Stikman

Jason Perry said...

Love this post. Before I went pro I shot film only. I felt compelled to go digital to be more productive and to better meet my clients demands. Now that digital consumes 99% of my photographic life I feel compelled to go out and shoot film with that leftover one percent. I have an RZ kit that I have pieced together that I use for personal work only. It is a wonderful release for me and it feels strangely productive to go out shooting for an afternoon and only shoot 20 exposures.

Don't get me wrong, I love digital and I will never give it up... But shooting a roll of chrome just makes my heart sing.