Saturday, November 19, 2005

Q&A 11.05

1. What method do you find the most effective when marketing yourself?

Actually, word of mouth has been my best tool for getting jobs. One happy client leads to another. I have a portfolio on PDN that may help me out - hard to tell. My website is great to be able to show really recent work & i have the ability to have web galleries for client viewing & editing.
I also do [not consistently enough] postcards that tend to be very well received. check out www.4by6.com - really cool & easy to create cards. I'll be looking into things like Blackbook, or LeBook this year as well. I rarely send a portfolio out & i think that is something an agent would really say is one of the best things you can do.

2. How many different ways do you promote your photography? Do you do promo cards or is everything word of mouth?

Oh, i guess i just answered that. right?

3. What advice do you have for up and coming photographers looking to get into the industry?

Assist, shoot everything you love to shoot, don't be afraid to ask questions, & get a solid grip on the business aspects of photography. I'm sure they teach you all that stuff @ Photography school, but people like ASMP are a really good resource for biz forms & all that. if you only focus on shooting & getting jobs & then you get really busy -especially with digital - the business side will suffer & you will have to play catch up to manage your invoices, filing images & all that jazz.

* I think the digital workflow is going to be one of the most important facets of being successful in photography. editing, preparing, & delivering is crucial to keeping the clients happy.

No comments: