Saturday, November 19, 2005

Interview 2005

Q; Which sector/ genre of photography would you say
your work would be categorised as?

A;I definitely shoot a lot of Portraits, & in that category I suppose it is more of an ‘Editorial Portrait’ rather than ‘portrait studio’ type thing.
I have also been shooting catalog & ad stuff that I call ‘FashStyle’ – because it is really neither Fashion or Lifestyle entirely & still a bit of both.

Q; How did you come to be involved in this area of
work?

A: I’ve really just kind of evolved into it. I try & shoot the type of photos I like looking at.
I met a lot of my commercial clients in the action sports world when I used to shoot snowboarding. The work I do for non action sports clients is sometimes really random & sometimes people will se an image somewhere & look into who shot it & follow through with an e-mail or a phone call.
The editorial work I do is almost all word of mouth or someone seeing something in another magazine & then checking out the photo credit.



Q; Clients: Are you employed on a freelance, agency or
contracted basis. And who are your employer(s)

A; Freelance, although I have good relationships with several clients & art directors that keeps some sort of consistency.

Q; Deadlines: How much time do you tend to have to
execute and submit a submission?

A; There isn’t really a set amount of time. Each job is different but, faster is always better for the client.

Q; What type of equipment do you use
(format/brand/film/digital)?


A; I have used quite a lot of different systems whether it be 35, 120mm, 4x5, or digital, & now I primarily use the Canon Digital system. I used to shoot canon 35mm for snowboard action & never shot anything else with it because it never felt right. I would shoot travel stuff with a Leica & portraits with a hassy or 4x5. Now, after selling off all my canon gear for a med. format digital back & more hassy stuff I have gone back & bought all Prime canon lenses again for the 1DS Mark II – it’s amazing.

Q; Do you feel someone entering this sector of work
can realistically make a living, or would they perhaps
have to supplement it with another field of
photography?

A; That all depends on the ‘living’ you want to live. When I was starting out all I needed to survive was about $350 a month – but I was having a great time & shooting photos & snowboarding everyday. Now that I’m married & have a baby & a house & gas hungry cars that same amount doesn’t go as far. I certainly wouldn’t expect a beginning photographer to start making a good living right off the bat. That’s why most people assist for a few years & continue their education while making some money & shooting their own photos on the side.

Q; Digital Vs. Film: which do you feel is best for
this field and which do you personally prefer?

A; I shoot Digital. I love film, but it’s almost like you have to commit to one or the other. Now all the work is on the computer, photo shop, hard drives, new g5’s, color calibration, processing RAW & workflow. Shooting a job with film would feel really slow to me now. Everything is so instant & the clients love that security of seeing the image before calling it a day.

Q; Any particularly good / bad experiences in this
sector?

A; Digital has been amazing - but, you have to be really careful about double & sometimes tripple checking your images to make sure they are really stored safely. i have lost some images due to faulty cards or mysterious electronic errors. of course i have lost film images to lab failure & x-ray machines too.

Q; Is your main body of work fall under what you would
consider to be your preferred area of work? If so/not
why?

A;

Q; If not, do you find the opportunity to shoot you
preferred area on any kind of commercial or personal
basis?

A;

Q; Who inspired you to take photographs and as you’ve
developed technically and personally who now inspires
you?

A;

Q; With copyright being a huge part of the job, how do
you find it can help/work against you?

A;

Q; For this reason are you a member of a professional
body? Why have you chosen this group over the other
photographic bodies?

A;

No comments: